Steven Procopio

Director of Code Enforcement: Steven Procopio

Code Enforcement Officer: Faith Alheim

Code Enforcement Officer: James Holmes

Code Enforcement Officer: Brian Johnstone

Code Enforcement Officer: Dominic Puchalski

Clerk: Heidi LaLone

Clerk: Tonia Mosley

Part-time Clerk: Stacey Obleman

Town Board Liaison: Councilor Becallo

Phone: 315-752-1180  ext. 504

The Zoning & Planning department is responsible for the issuance of all building permits and code enforcement issues for the Town of Cicero as defined in the Town Code Book. Contact the department to discuss future projects and concerns, and find basic requirements for the review and issuance of building permits below.

The majority of residents needing a building permit are not affected by the Planning Board or the Zoning Board of Appeals. In ALL cases, the first point of contact is this office.

Forms and Documents

Find sign permits applications, building permit applications, site planning applications, zone variance and other forms and instructions on the Forms, Licenses & Permits page in the “Building Permits’ section, the “Sign Permits” section, or the “Site Planning and Zoning Forms” section.

Find drainage complaint forms and code enforcement complaint forms on the Forms, Licenses & Permits page in the “Complaint Forms” section.

Zoning & Planning Fees:  View here. 

Zoning Maps: Zoning maps are being updated and will appear here when complete. If you need specific information, please contact the Zoning and Planning office.

MS-4 Annual Report:

“2022 Annual Report can be viewed by clicking below”  Any comments need to be in by May 26, 2022.

Draft – ms4anrpt- Cicero 2021-2022

Stormwater Newsletters:

July 2021, Gardens and Gutters
May 2021, Gardens and Gutters
July 2020, Gardens & Gutters
Spring 2020, Gardens & Gutters
October 2020, Gardens & Gutters
September 2020, Gardens & Gutters

Zoning & Planning Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is Zoning?
    • Zoning is basically a set of rules which control the use of land and how the land may be built upon. Zoning rules apply to all real property in the Town of Cicero. However, there are many different types of zoning and zoning districts. For each zone there are limitations on the allowable use, building size, setbacks, along with other miscellaneous restrictions.
  • How can I determine how my property is zoned?
    • The zoning classification of your property may be found on your tax bill or can be found on the Zoning Map of the Town of Cicero, available at the Department of Zoning & Planning.
  • What is a Variance?
    • A variance is something that is applied for with the Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA). This procedure normally takes place when a decision of the Codes Enforcement Officer or Planning Board is appealed. The ZBA is vested with exclusive jurisdiction to hear and decide appeals involving any interpretation of the Zoning Law or issues related thereto, including but not limited to district boundaries, nonconforming uses, or other similar matters.
  • What is a permit and why are they issued?
    • A permit is a formal document authorizing commencement of some action or work subject to regulations. Permits are issued to fulfill legal mandates, to protect the health and safety of the general public and to insure compliance with construction drawings, specifications and adopted building and fire codes.
  • When are Building Permits required?
    • Building Permits are required to: (but not limited to).
      1. Construct, add onto, relocate or make structural changes to a building or property.
      2. Demolish any building or structure.
      3. Convert or change the occupancy use of a building or any part thereof.
      4. Modify locations and/or sizes of doors and windows.
      5. Repair fire damage.
      6. Install or replace any fireplace, woodstove or other solid fuel burning device, chimney, vents or heat producing devices.
      7. Fill, excavate or alter grade/contours of land.
      8. Install or replace a fence
      9. Install or erect other physical improvements, whether fixed or moveable on a property.
      10. Install, relocate or remove interior structural loadbearing partitions.
  • When are Building Permits NOT required?
    • Building Permits are not required to: (but not limited to).
      1. Making ordinary repairs.
      2. Installing or replacing siding or roofing provided no more than two layers of roofing are to be covered.
      3. Replacing windows or doors of equal size.
      4. Installing or removing internal, non-load bearing partitions. It is advisable to consult with a contractor or professional engineer, architect to confirm.
  • Will I need approval from other departments or agencies prior to issuing my permit?
    • Large scale construction projects may also (highly likely) require approval from the Planning Board and/or Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA), New York State Department of Transportation (DOT), New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC), and Onondaga County Department of Planning. Smaller scale projects may require approval from the (ZBA) when special variances are sought or required. For further information concerning zoning requirements, please contact the Department of Zoning & Planning.
  • How much do permits cost?
  • When is a professional architect/engineer required?
    • A professional architect/engineer licensed to perform work in New York State must provide original stamped and signed plans and specifications to the Town when proposed construction is for non-residential new construction or more than $20,000 in alterations.
  • How do I obtain a Certificate of Occupancy (CO)?
    • A Certificate of Occupancy (CO) is your assurance and final certificate that all construction work is in conformance with the NYS Building Codes along with other applicable laws and regulations. The (CO) is issued by the Department of Zoning & Planning upon satisfactory completion of all work authorized by a Building Permit, receipt of all inspection certificates from outside agencies such as plumbing, electrical, etc.
  • How long is a permit good for?
    • A building permit is valid for twelve (12) months from the date of issuance and at six (6) months if work is not commenced within that timeframe.
  • Who are the approved electrical inspectors for the Town of Cicero?
    • A suggested listing of approved Electrical Inspectors/Agencies may be obtained from the Department of Zoning & Planning.
  • How long shall I expect to wait for issuance of my permit application?
    • Issuance of a permit will vary depending on the nature or size of the project. Generally for minor construction it may take three (3) to five (5) business days. However, a plan review of a new dwelling/structure may take two (2) to six (6) weeks to complete a review. In all cases, times are commensurate with the size of the project, approving Town agencies, completeness of the submitted plans, specifications and required submittals.
  • What happens if I start work without first obtaining a permit?
    • You will NOT be able to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy (CO) or Certificate of Compliance (CC).  The law provides that a STOP WORK ORDER be issued and fines may be imposed. Additionally, any work found not in compliance with applicable codes, rules and regulations will have to be corrected or removed.
  • What if I have additional questions concerning building permits or code regulations?