This is a seasonal, and sometimes on-call, position scheduled to start the end of August 2017. From the end of August, until approximately mid-October, and the end of December until approximately mid-February, hours will be Monday—Friday, 8:00 am—4:00 pm. There may be on-call time in-between to fill in for absences, and/or work on projects.
It is the duty of the Tax Clerk to act in the interest of the Town of Cicero Receiver of Taxes. When not acting in this capacity, the Clerk assists the Receiver in carrying out the office duties as stipulated in Town Law. Work assignments may be received verbally, in writing, and/or electronically, from the Receiver of Taxes and the Deputy Receiver of Taxes. Performance is checked by audit of tax records and books; and compliments and complaints received from the general public.
1) Respond promptly, with professionalism and warmth, to all inquiries from residents and others, ensuring issues are resolved, consulting with others when necessary. This includes, but is not limited to:
a. Incorrect tax payments
b. Late tax payments
c. Miscellaneous inquiries about taxes and properties located in the Town of Cicero.
2) Collect and record taxes levied for the town, county, village and school district. This Includes, but is not limited to:
a. issuance of a receipt
b. entry of transactions into accounts receivable
c. balancing cash at the close of the day’s business
d. making deposit of on-hand cash
3) Ensure the amount of taxes paid is accurately and promptly entered into the tax ledger.
4) Upon receipt of tax bills, pull tax bills and send to mortgage institutions to encumber escrow payments.
5) Ensure that tax bills and assessment on tax rolls are properly addressed to the owner of record.
6) For County, Town, Village, and special district taxes:
a. collect and record mailed taxes
b. balance daily receipt sheets and cash drawer
c. correct and verify deposit amounts, including making out deposit slips
7) Balance tax books, record unpaid tax bills for return to the County Commissioner of Finance, post the dates taxes were paid in books.
8) Perform other duties as needed to accomplish responsibilities, or as requested by the Receiver of Taxes.
Education, Experience, and Other Requirements
Must have one of the following:
o Graduation from a two (2) year college or business institute with a degree in Business Administration or Accounting, plus two (2) years of work experience that required responsibility for, and maintenance of, a set of books; or
o Four (4) years of work experience that required responsibility for maintaining a set of books including a general ledger; or
o An equivalent combination of training, education, and/or experience equivalent to the above requirements.
Must be bondable.
Must be flexible to work the hours/days needed.
Notary public preferred.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities Needed
Above average communications and interpersonal skills.
Thorough knowledge of bookkeeping principles and practices. Ability to apply bookkeeping principles to the setting up and maintenance of accounting records.
Thorough knowledge of procedures used in setting up and balancing of ledgers and accounts.
General knowledge of office procedures and practices.
Ability to operate a variety of office equipment, including computers and associated software such as Microsoft Office programs.
Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
Required to sit for long periods of time, and be physically flexible to proceed to the counter when serving the public. Prolonged use of a monitor.
Please complete an employment application and submit it, along with your letter of interest, to HRManager@ciceronewyork.net You may submit a resume. However, to be considered a candidate, we must also have a completed employment application. The form is available by clicking here.