Status: Civil Service, Non-Competitive, Union, Full-Time, Non-exempt / hourly
Reports to: Director of Youth Bureau, Parks and Recreation
The incumbent in this position is responsible to plan, organize, implement, promote and evaluate a community recreation program involving various activities, programs, leagues, special events and team sports. Manage and evaluate assigned staff to include Recreation Leaders, Attendants, and contractual instructors.
1. Plans, organizes, and promotes recreation programs and activities including team sports, leagues, recreation activities, beach operation, and special events. Required to roll-up their sleeves and participate in programs as needed.
2. Trains and instructs Recreation Leaders, Attendants, Volunteers and Contractual Instructors and assigns them to specific areas or events in a manner that best utilizes their skills and abilities to ensure successful programs.
3. On own, or working with others as deemed appropriate, plans, creates, and writes effective publicity announcements and activities for programs by ensuring maximum dissemination of publicity announcements to reach the largest audience possible.
4. Organizes and implements events by scheduling events, facility reservations, assigning personnel, including volunteers, and arranging for equipment and supplies.
5. Prepares written reports on program attendance, evaluations of personnel work performance, inventory equipment and supplies.
Management, Team Building, Leadership, and Relationships
1. Responsible for ensuring effective and timely recruiting, interviewing and assessment of job candidates and volunteers including collaborating with the Director to make the best hiring and volunteer commitment decisions.
2. Manage time-to-hire so as not to leave positions unnecessarily vacant.
3. Oversee new employee orientation and training of all employee staff members and volunteers.
4. Effectively manage, motivate, and evaluate the performance and development needs of all assigned staff. Includes regular schedule of formal performance evaluations for employees.
5. Develop and maintain positive relationships with other Town Departments, Recreation Departments.
6. Coordinate services with outside agencies and the North Syracuse Central School District.
7. Maintain effective networking relationships with other area Recreation Departments.
Administrative and Miscellaneous
1. Finance and budget
a. Work with Director of Youth Bureau, Parks and Recreation to develop and manage departmental budget. Monitor spending and be prepared to explain and justify budget variances.
b. Make suggestions to the Director for Creating new revenue streams, and enhancing current ones
c. Solicit donations
d. Issue receipts for, record receipt of and make bank deposit for all income received
2. Determine and forecast appropriate supplies, materials and equipment needed for all programs, recreation activities and special events. Shop for vendors and make cost effective purchases.
3. Create and organize and constantly maintain program participant, and other records as needed.
4. Identify and complete any continuing education, including attending conferences to ensure always remaining current with any laws, techniques or trends unique to the field.
5. Work with Director to provide updated and appropriate content for posting on the Town’s website and Facebook.
6. Attend and actively participate in other meetings as needed, including meeting regularly with Director.
7. Produce reports as needed in a timely manner.
8. Complete other duties or tasks as assigned or needed to complete job responsibilities and/or support other Town activities.
Education, Experience, and other Requirements
All requirements as mandated by civil service.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities Needed to Perform Effectively in the Position
Thorough knowledge of recreation principles and practices.
Ability to identify objectives of a planned community recreation program and the ability to plan and develop appropriate activities in order to meet the identified objectives.
The ability to assess the effectiveness of recreational activities.
Excellent supervision and leadership skills, including employee counseling, and the ability to train and evaluation employee performance.
Excellent planning and organizing skills, and the ability to multi-task.
Above average communications skills, including the ability to establish and maintain community relationships.
Computer and software knowledge sufficient to generate correspondence and reports.
Job-related Physical Abilities needed in order to perform the job in a satisfactory manner
Ability to participate in all recreational activities to potentially include running, jumping, bending, lifting, pushing, and any other activity requirements.
Adheres to the Town of Cicero’s policies and procedures.
Meets or exceeds expected performance standards, including consistently reporting to work on time prepared to perform the duties of the position.
• All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
• This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by management.
• This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.
ALL résumés submitted must include a completed Employment Application Form. The form is available by clicking here. Applications are to be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org